Saturday 18 April 2009

My next purchase

My colleague lent me his Kenko Extension tube set for couple days and I have to say that it is a must have. An extension tube is just an extender without any lenses inside. With the extension tube attached between the camera body and the lens you can sharpen closer and therefore photograph things in bigger size. Unfortunately long extension tube usually prevents auto focus so you have sharpen manually. A set of extension tubes is relatively cheap because of the simple construction and it takes less space in my camera bag than a proper macro lens. 

But how sharp photos you can take with extension tubes? I think it depends how good your lens is. A good prime or a very sharp zoom lens are good candidates. I shot this example with Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L IS USM. The photo of 1 Swiss Franc coin year digits is cropped to show 1:1 size.



f8, 70mm, 1/100s, ISO 100 and full stack of Kenko extension tubes.

As mentioned above I do not own  such tubes, yet. I have been postponing the purchase as I made a promise not buy more photography gear this month. Luckily it is already 18th...

No comments:

Post a Comment