Saturday 10 October 2009

Becoming a strobist - YN RF-602 ordered

I ordered Yongnuo RF-602 radio trigger with two receivers yesterday. The reason for ordering this set is that I do not have any way of using my existing Canon 430EX II flash off camera. I was thinking buying a remote TTL cord but I dropped that idea after reading about radio triggers.

There are many different brands for radio flash triggers. Some are quite expensive like Pocket Wizards and some are cheaper. In my case I did not want to spend too much so I took a look at the eBay selection. Most cheap triggers like Cactus V2/V4 use 433 MHz frequency but Yongnuo RF-602 uses higher 2.4 GHz frequency. This should give longer range and better reliability based on reviews. RF-602 might be a bit more expensive but 40 GBP for a transmitter and two receivers is not too bad.

At the moment I have only one flash but I am trying to figure out what kind of flash should the second one be. It should have manual power control, reasonable power rating and low price. I do not need any automatic features so there is no point of buying another Canon 430EX II. Yongnuo produces flashes matching my requirements and they are pretty cheap (27-30 GPB ebay). Other option could be a second hand flash unit but popular models are hard to get.

Hopefully my trigger package arrives soon. Waiting new gear to arrive is always difficult...

No comments:

Post a Comment