Sunday 4 October 2009

Edinburgh Photocamp 2009

Today I attended a photocamp event and I have to say it was a day well spent. It was the very first Photocamp event in Edinburgh. Photocamps are very informal seminars and they share quite a lot with more IT specific Barcamp events.

The main idea of a Photocamp is that anyone is free to join, present and collaborate. There are no fixed plans and anyone is free to present a topic. In my case this meant having a quick presentation about camera lens qualities and how they affect the final photograph. I was not too well prepared so I felt a bit nervous. Luckily the atmosphere was warm and welcoming so it was not that bad thing to do after all.

Along many informative presentations there was also a possibility to try out small studio setup with several flashes, soft boxes and reflectors. I ended up in front of camera as well even though posing is not my favorite act. It was a first time for me to try out studio shooting with such a setup so I was a bit clueless what I could achieve but at least I got a chance to try out different light setups and so on.

In between sessions attendees were busy chatting about their interests, expressing their opinions and sharing their flickr contacts. For some people it was the first time they met their online contacts in real life. Such event is very good for networking and I also got plenty of advice for my plans to get couple radio triggers.

I understood that this kind of Photocamps are relatively new thing in the UK so you might not heard about such before. But if there is one being organized near you do not hesitate to participate. Having a presentation is not compulsory.

Edinburgh Photocamp

No comments:

Post a Comment